Tourism

Manolo Fortich Tourism Map
Manolo Fortich Tourism Map

Inventory of Cultural Properties

Name of PropertySignificanceTypePhotograph/MultimediaLocationOwnership
Gen. McArthur LandmarkThis historic landmark is named after Gen. Douglas MacArthur, his family and key staff members took off on their historic flight to Australia before the fall of Bataan and Corregidor by B-17 on March 17, 1942. Contrary to what most Filipinos have known, it was actually in Manolo Fortich where Gen. Douglasd MacArthur has said his final farewell from the Philippines.Tangible(Click to see attached photo)Dicklum, Manolo Fortich, BukidnonRotary Club of Northern Bukidnon (NGO)
Artesian WellIn the early 1930s residents of Barrio Tankulan used an aretesian well for water source. The well was constructed through the effort of Barrio Officials under the leadership of Presidente del Barrio Mateo Gumaling. Due to its abundance, the American Soldiers used to draw water from this well during World War II. The preservation of this Artesian Well exhibits the beginnings of Manolo Fortich and it serves as a tribute to the early leaders and people of Barrio Tankulan now the capital center of the town.Tangible(Click to see attached photo)Municipal Plaza-TankulanLGU Owned
Mangima  Heroes ShrineThe Mangima Heroes Shrine stands as the historic symbol of valor and nationalism for the heroic acts of the local constituents during World War II. It was on the plateau overlooking the Mangima Old Bridge where the command for the historic ambushed of Japanese Army took place. The shrine was erected as a tribute to the local Heroes led by Capt. Ramon M. OnahonTangible(Click to see attached photo)Mangima Canyon Spring ResortLGU Owned
Del Monte AirstripDel Monte Airfield was first selected in September 1941 as an emergency landing strip on Mindanao, capable of landing four-engine B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bombers during the May to October wet season. The airfield was established as part of the build-up of United States military forces in the Philippines due to the rising tensions with the Japanese Empire. Battle/War: World War II (Asia Pacific Theater) Year Built: 1941 Controlled by: United States Army Air Forces In use: September 1941-March 1942.Tangible(Click to see attached photo)Camp 3 AirstripPrivately Owned
Japanese Stone MarkerManolo Fortich is a home of several historical artifacts; one of these is the Japanese Stone Marker which indicates the graves of high-ranking Japanese Officials killed during World War II. The elliptical one by two feet stone bears two Japanese inscriptions which translated as “On this spot died Miyazaki Yoshitoi, Chief  of Army” and “Emperor Chiao” in addition to the English inscription which reads “ In memory of Kaji Battalion, May 8, 1942”. The stone was placed by Japanese soldiers relatives of Miyazaki Yoshitoi to remember him with. This is a post-world war or else, the marker would have been written all in Japanese specially the one line written in English “In memory of Kaji Battalion, May 8, 1942”. Miyazaki Yoshitoi, must have been the highest ranking official of the Kaji Battalion killed in action. By May 9, 1942, General Sharp ordered his men to Surrender. Tangible(Click to see attached photo)TankulanKept by the Magallones Family
Old Municipal HallThe Old Municipal Building was built in 1926 and became the government center of the municipality until the year 2006 during the administration of former Municipal Mayor Socorro O. Acosta that the government center was transferred to Kalanawan, Tankulan. Now the building is utilized by the Legislative Department of the municipality as well as the Regional Trial Court Branch 11.Tangible(Click to see attached photo)TankulanLGU Owned
%d bloggers like this: